After making thousands of really nice urns that we white-glove pack in recycled and recyclable materials it seemed a logical, environmentally responsible next step to make a model that was its own conveyance. There's no "box in the box" with the BARE Cremation Urn.
- "Three Leaf Certified" by the Green Burial Council
- Includes biodegradable cremated remains bag
- Available in full and midsized (dimensions below)
BARE Cremation Urn is Green Burial Council Certified
Certified at the "Three Leaves" level means that the materials are all sustainably sourced, as non-toxic as possible in all phases of production, and are biodegradable and/or recyclable.
- Lumber is FSC certified
- Glue is waterproof and inert once dry
- Wood finish is all-natural, food-safe, vegan, VOC free, and contains no mineral oil or solvents
- Heavyweight kraft paper is used to protect and keep the surfaces clean (although handling may create a certain amount of distress/charm)
- Currently researching a carbon offset partner for shipping
For more info on green burial consider downloading the GBC's Green Burial Planning Guide.
The interlocking groove joinery used on the corners of the BARE green burial urn offers significantly more surface area than a normal forty-five-degree angle while also providing a phenomenally strong joint. The glue we use is waterproof, so small amounts of precipitation will not trouble the structure. Each BARE is shipped fully insured and will be replaced in the event of unreasonable handling by the carrier.
- Full size is 200 cubic inches (3277 cc) and 6.25" x 6.25" x 11.125" (15.88 x 15.88 x 28.26 cm)
- Midsize is 100 cubic inches (1639 cc) and 6.25" x 6.25" x 6" (15.88 x 15.88 x 1.24 cm)
Heavyweight kraft paper is used to wrap the BARE Cremation Urn in order to provide good protection from dirt and scuffs. However, dings and other character-building patina are possible during transport. Each BARE is shipped fully insured and will be replaced in the event of unreasonable handling by the carrier.
"Green Cremation Urn That Is Its Own Shipping Box - The Origin of BARE" goes into more detail about the origins and tests to arrive at our solution for eliminating packaging waste.
Receipt and Closure
- Unwrap from kraft paper
- Unscrew brass screw in lid and reuse or recycle
- Slide and lift wood lid out
- Remove wood dowel from interior - an extra is provided
- Place cremated remains - if cremated remains are not already in a biodegradable bag, one is provided and this should be opened and used to line the interior into which the cremated remains then get poured (more on transferring cremated remains here)
- Replace wood lid
- Insert wood dowel
- Strike top of dowel with light force until it seats in bottom of hole (sound of hammer striking will change) or is flush with lid
Engraving of names and dates are complementary. Additional pictorial or graphic engraving can be arranged. Just contact us.
Clicking the "Add to cart" button indicates that you recognize that the carrier may invent new ways we haven't thought of to create wear, tear, patina, dings, scrapes, and scratches to the BARE Cremation Urn once it arrives at your shipping address. This aging is considered part of this green burial urn's journey to its final purpose in an attempt to use fewer resources in that endeavor. You also acknowledge that should the structural integrity be compromised, your BARE Cremation Urn will be replaced at no cost to you as long as Aril is notified within 30 days of purchase with photo documentation. All products ship fully insured. Your photo documentation would help us pursue a claim, should that ever be needed.
Creative Commons License
The BARE Cremation Urn is licensed under the Creative Common License and one must attribute Aril Memorial LLC as the creator in the use, reuse, or adaptation of the design or the notion of a cremation urn being its own shipping container.
BARE Cremation Urn by Aril Memorial LLC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.